Thursday, July 30, 2009

So far ths week...

On Monday we went to the Oncologist and went over my plan of care for the chemo treatments. It was a lot to take in, all the drug names run together after awhile, but the basic rundown is a 5 drug combo called 5FU that is given through my chest in my medi-port. I stay at the Oncologists for about 3 hours to get that, then am sent home with a pump that gives it to me for the next two days. On the third day, I go back to the Oncologists, they remove the needle in my chest, flush the port, and I'm done for 2 weeks. During days two and three, there are pills for me to take to hopefully prevent breakthrough nausea. So far, not one bit of the nausea has occurred, so I guess they are working. There are two other RX's to take after the treatment stops in case there is any nausea. The Nurse Practioner for my Doc. is awesome and she said she is determined that I will not be sick from this. Once we finished the the Plan of Care I was waiting for the car to come around and get me because I was too weak to walk to it. The car came, I tried to get up, but collapsed instead. Nasty bruise on the right elbow. I of course, got really mad, declared that all of this was total BS and was crying! The Doctor then said, go to the hospital, get typed and crossed, you are getting a transfusion, so we did.

Tuesday-All day at Conway Medical Center with some good ole A+ pumping into my veins. I had no idea what a slow process getting a transfusion was, but I was able to rest, they fed me, and took good care of me, and I do feel a little stronger today (Wed.)

Wednesday- Back to Oncologist at 1:00 to remove needle and pump. Home to rest (lots of this is required). Next Tues. back to Oncologist for labs to see how I reacted to Round one. Blood levels are the determining factor in all of this, so we'll see. I can say that I feel less "out of it" mentally, and a little stronger. When the liver is not working properly toxins build up in the body causing all kinds of stuff to happen. I am a little jaundiced still-eyeballs are yellow, peepee looks like tea, resting heartbeat is still in the 90's but was up to 132 at it's highest. It's hard to feel good when you are gasping for breath while laying down. I think between the chemo and blood yesterday, these two things have helped a lot. Of course, all of the prayers are what really matters and I thank all of you for those.

I'll most likely update again after Tues. lab resluts to fill you in. Pray hard everyone-this HAS to work.

Love ya'll!

3 comments:

  1. Wow..what a week you have had!! May God's grace be powerful in you and may His Power be perfect in your weakness...Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori,
    I've been thinking about you a lot and praying for you everyday. It sounds like you are in good hands and that you have a wonderful family.
    God Bless You,
    Debra (Honeywell) Myott

    ReplyDelete
  3. lori - i think about you daily in my thoughts & prayers. i also try to send a lot of positive energy out to your family! as for the nausea - ask for zofran! that stuff is expensive but it is a miracle!

    meredith s.

    ReplyDelete